Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Fountains

Do you remember the two fountains that ran in Rochdale from 1964 to about 1969 or 1970?

They spouted plumes of water, cascaded by lights, and they stood as probably the centerpieces of the development during the time that they worked.

If I remember correctly, one was between sections two and three, and the other one was by the Community Center.

(I do not have a photo of the old fountains, and I do not even have anything that approximates those fountains. Does anyone have a photo that they would like to share? I will give you full credit if you send one to me at l_lapka@yahoo.com, and it might be one that we add to our picture collection for the Reunion.)

I remember that when we played ball in the Building 9/12 playground, on a windy day, we could be cooled down by light feeling of water on our skin, very light, barely touching us, but coming from the fountains.

The fountains also became a major hangout place for teens, and during the summer, hordes of young people used to sit and chat and smoke and just have fun around the fountains.

I never really hung out at the fountain--my hangout place was the aforementioned Building 9/12 playground--but I knew many people that did, mainly kids who were three and four years older than I was.

Did anyone actually ever go into the fountain, or at least put their feet in?

I seem to remember that I did, but I do not remember the circumstances. I didn't go in for a long time, but yes, I was one of those people who did, and I seem to remember feeling coins at my feet, but I won't swear to that.

I guess plenty of people made wishes at those fountains, and I hope those wishes came true.

Today, the last I heard, for several years the fountain area has been home to satellite dishes, but maybe somebody can confirm that for me.

I just remember that when they were finally turned off for good--I think it had to do with a New York City water crisis in the late 1960s or early 1970s--it was the clear signal that things were changing in our neighborhood.

I am sure that there will be plenty of talk about the fountains at the Reunion. Remember, the cutoff date for payments is September 15, so get your checks in now!

They have been coming in like plumes of water at this point in time, and you don't want to miss out on the event of the year, so don't miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment