Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Horseshoes, Nails and the Like ...



Rochdale Village was constructed on the site of the old Jamaica Race Track, and various buildings had to be razed for the residential project to be built.

But as I remember it, in the early days of development, one could always find remnants of the old race track here and there.

I distinctly remember finding old horseshoes and lots of nails out and about during those days.

One day, my friend Ira and I decided that we were going to build a tree house, and we took what tools we had, some wood, and marched over to the deep end of Rochdale, somewhere near where I.S. 72 eventually was built.

In our seven year old minds, we figured that a tree house was a necessity in the wilds of Rochdale, I guess, and where better to put it than quite a ways away from where we lived in Building 9?

Anyway, we marched over there and started to put up this thing.

One thing led to another, and whatever we constructed fell down, and for me personally, that was the end of my building career, as I learned at an early age that I was not very handy.

But I do remember one other thing about this experience.

We were both wearing sneakers, and Ira stepped on a nail that had to be a couple of inches long that was buried in the ground. It was rusted, and I think that is when our little project stopped.

It punctured his sneaker, went into his heel, I believe, and he had to go right to the doctor to see if he was OK or if a tetanus shot was needed.

Funny how I remember this, but I do, and I don't think I ever ventured over to that part of the development again until I.S. 72 was built.

Flash forward to today, and we are in something of a horse race.

There are only five days left to send in your check for the Reunion.

Don't make this into a photo finish--make it into a Win, or at least a Place and Show.

You don't want to finish out of the money, so to speak, so send in your payment now!

I will bet that it is a decision you will not regret!

No comments:

Post a Comment